It’s easy to forget things or overpack as you are rushing to get ready for your trip.
Take the stress and guesswork out of travel prep by going through these basic checklists on everything you need to pack and take care of before leaving home. Walking out the door with confidence and a light bag will feel amazing.
LIGHTWEIGHT PACKING CHECKLIST
It’s 11 pm the night before your flight, and you’re looking around the room wondering if you’ve forgotten to pack anything. This happens every single time you travel. You jot down a list and put it next to your suitcase: contact lenses… running shoes… cell phone charger…. There are million things you could easily forget to bring.
Then you have a flood of “what if” thoughts. What if it rains? What if I need extra socks for some reason? What if it’s midnight at the hotel and I’m hungry? What if I need a back up bathing suit? Don’t let these worries scare you into overpacking. You can usually buy an umbrella or whatever you’ll need at your destination if you’re in a jam.
Here’s a handy checklist of packing essentials to run through next time you’re preparing for a trip. You can sleep tight knowing that you’ve covered all your bases, and you’ll be thrilled to be skating through the airport with a stylish, lightweight bag instead of a bulky, overflowing clunker.
- Contact lens or glasses
- Toiletries: Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, nail clipper and file
- Medicines – Advil or Tylenol, allergy medicine, motion sickness medicine, vitamins
- Ladies: Make up, moisturizer, make up removers, hairbrush, accessories and jewelry
- Gentlemen: Razor, shaving cream, comb, hair products, accessories and jewelry
- Cell phone charger
- Portable cell phone charger
- Laptop and charger
- Tablet and charger
- Portable travel power strip if you have a lot of electronics to charge or multiple people sharing a hotel room
- Universal adapter if you’re traveling abroad
Clothing and Accessories
- Outerwear for all occasions and weather
- Formal attire – If you’re traveling to a wedding or special event, remember to pack the suit or dress that’s hanging in your closet and will be packed last to avoid wrinkles.
- Layers – If you aren’t sure what the weather will be like, pack layers so you can be ready for cool weather or cold weather at a moment’s notice.
- Versatile jacket – Read all about lightweight jacket options here.
- Shoes – comfortable shoes, dress shoes, athletic shoes, flats, flip flops, hotel slippers
- Hat and sunglasses – Sunglasses are easy to forget if you usually keep them in your car. Hats are key for sunny destinations.
- Accessories – watch, jewelry, rings, piercings, hair ties
- Passport – Don’t forget if you’re traveling internationally
- Airplane Entertainment – iPad, magazines or books you’ve been meaning to read
- Airplane Comfort – Neck pillow
- Food – You may want to pack snacks in case you have to skip a meal